MADISON, WI APRIL 7, 2017: An award honoring family businesses in Wisconsin has drawn nominations from across the state. 31 companies are competing for the Fourteenth Annual Wisconsin Family Business of the Year Award. Awards will be given to Small (under 25 employees), Medium (25-99) and Large (100+) companies.
From toilet seats to bow ties, lawn mower blades to rock concerts, this year’s nominees represent a diverse set of livelihoods. There are first through sixth generation family businesses. Three of the nominees businesses were started in the late 1800s. They come from industries including auto dealers, entertainment, association management, cheese production, construction, banking, manufacturing, and dentistry.
The nominees are:
- ANiU Salon & Spa Middleton
- Artesan Fruit Madison
- Bemis Manufacturing Company Sheboygan Falls
- Brakebush Brothers, Inc. Westfield
- Build-A-Bow, LLC Racine
- Central Storage & Warehouse Co., Inc. Madison
- Complete Mobile Dentistry, Inc. Windsor
- County Materials Corporation Marathon
- Crave Brothers Farm and Farmstead Cheese Waterloo
- Dave Jones, Inc. Madison
- Fisher Barton, Inc. Watertown
- Frank Mayer and Associates, Inc. Grafton
- Frank Productions, Inc. Madison
- Hunzinger Construction Company Brookfield
- Hydro-Thermal Corporation Waukesha
- Impact Virtual Services Madison
- Kayser Automotive Group Madison
- Kowal Investment Group, LLC Waukesha
- Masters Gallery Foods, Inc. Plymouth
- Meffert Oil Company, Inc. Waunakee
- Mill Haven Foods New Lisbon
- Park Bank Madison
- Qual Line Fence Corporation Waunakee
- Reynolds Transfer & Storage, Inc. Madison
- Riley Construction Kenosha
- Shorewest, REALTORS Brookfield
- Sondel Family Veterinary Clinic Madison
- Stoughton Trailers LLC Stoughton
- The UPS Stores of Middleton/Shorewood Hills Middleton
- Union Bank & Trust Company Evansville
- Wiedenbeck, Inc. Monona
The winners will be selected by a panel of independent judges based on criteria including: positive links between family and business, contribution to community and industry, and innovative practices. The winners will be announced at a banquet on Thursday, May 4, 2017 at the Monona Terrace Community & Convention Center in Madison. The banquet is open to the public as well as the nominees, past nominees, and friends.
New York Times Best Selling Author, Tom Farley will present the Keynote address for the evening. Tom ran the Chris Farley Foundation, named after his late brother. Tom hails from several generations of family businesses.
Family-owned firms contribute a great deal to the economy of the United States. Family-owned businesses account for 60% of total U.S. employment, 78% of all new jobs, and 65% of wages paid. Their economic influence is enormous, producing an estimated 50% of the nation’s gross domestic product.
The award program is sponsored by Smith & Gesteland, a Madison-based CPA and consulting firm, First Business Bank, and Husch Blackwell., a Wisconsin law firm.
For more information on the program and the banquet, you can call Neil Fauerbach at 608-836-7500, or visit www.familybusinessaward.com.